I have a confession. I love to travel. I love travel organization and fashion, I love airports, subways, meeting new people, seeing new things, and eating and drinking different kinds of foods. However, I do not enjoy flying in large planes. Small planes sure, any day of the week. Large planes? I might need a horse tranquilizer.
I’ll be traveling in a few weeks and I’m feeling a little anxious about it. The moment I hit purchase on those tickets my stomach flip-flopped. Partly with excitement, yay organizing a carry-on! And partly with already fearing turbulence and germy air with my weak immune system. Turbulence, I can’t control. Wellness while traveling, I can!
What are some easy ways to stay healthy while traveling through airports & breathing airplane air?
1. This is a no brainer but stop by the restroom before you board the plane. Use this as an opportunity to give your hands a thorough washing with warm water and soap. I used to think this was silly when I was a kid and I saw my mom do this, but using a paper towel to turn off the faucet and open doors will also cut down tremendously on the amount of germs that hop a ride with you on the plane. Gross, I know. Keep your bags off of the floor as much as possible too.
2. Make sure you have snacks for your flights, this will be easier on your system and your wallet as well as save you from airplane food (news flash, NOT nutritious AND overpriced). Nuts, berries, clementines or bananas, dark chocolate, jerky, granola bars and crackers are all easily and compactly packed and carried.
3. Congested? Allergies? Bring along a strong decongestant and nasal spray, or your medication and take 30-60 minutes before you fly. In flight ear or sinus pain is not a joke my friend. Travel sized tissues are never a bad idea either!
4. Stay hydrated. Let’s be real, flying sucks the moisture straight from your body. Liquids cannot be brought through security, so plan on bringing an empty bottle that you can fill at water stations once you are through. Need to shake it up? Add a flavor mix, immune boosting powder, or bring tea bags – your system will thank you.
5. Eye drops. Remove the contacts. Get those glasses ready. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES. Seriously. Stop that. My mother’s voice is coming out full force today. Keep your peepers sparkling!
6. Wipe your airplane seat DOWN. When you get to your seat, perhaps just take a moment to disinfect your armrest and seating area prior to take-off. Do you really think the flight attendant had the time to thoroughly disinfect every seat between flights? Not a chance I’m okay with taking.
7. Before you drink or eat, sanitize or wash your hands. It might seem a little OCD, but when it comes to infectious diseases, touching contaminated surfaces (basically anything in the airport or airplane) and then inevitably your lovely face is enough to bring you down with a cold from hell.
These are such easy preventative measures to keeping you as healthy as possible for your trip. What are some tried and true methods you have to share? Also, if you know a guy with some tranquilizers, you know who to send him to!